- WATCH: Click the video above to watch the Redistricting Presentation to learn how it could impact Transportation and School Start and End Times.
- FEEDBACK: An opportunity to provide feedback about the Redistricting Transportation Options is at the very bottom.
On Monday, February 27, 2023 Superintendent Yater shared NWLSD’s Redistricting Plan at the Board of Education meeting. As many are aware, NWLSD held two redistricting sessions in November of 2022. After much consideration, NWLSD has chosen to move forward with Option One of the Redistricting Plan. This plan will alleviate some of the overcrowding in our elementary schools. The result will have all elementary schools under 100% capacity.
(see chart below)
Monfort Heights Elem
Pleasant Run Elem
Based on the redistricting lines, families of impacted students who are moving to a new elementary school will be notified by email and regular mail. Any 4th grader who wishes to remain in their school for 5th grade will be offered that opportunity.
As part of the redistricting process, we have also been analyzing impacts on transportation. Since October 18, we've had 3,229 student days of school missed due to a canceled bus route. This creates stress for students, families, drivers, and school staff. We have been working on short, intermediate and long term strategies.
- Short term - hiring and retention of transportation staff and subs
- Intermediate - maximize efficiencies by permanently combining routes with low ridership
- Long term - structural changes
We presented two transportation long-term strategy options:
- One strategy is to change our transportation policy to 1.5 or 2 miles. This would reduce the number of students who qualify for transportation.
- A second strategy is to change from a three tier to four tier routing structure. This would change some start and end times but would also provide our drivers with more hours, helping with retention and recruitment. The proposed start times are below:
Student Start Time
Student End Time
Neither of the options comes without obstacles, but continuing with our current state is not acceptable. NWLSD will host two public Redistricting Informational Sessions on Monday, March 6 and Wednesday, March 8.We will also have an online feedback form for comments on the options.
Redistricting Informational Sessions:
Monday, March 6, 2023
5:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Colerain High School
Wednesday, March 8, 2023
5:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Northwest High School
A final decision will be communicated at the March 27th Board meeting.