Voice Recognition
Search Button
NW District Title

Article: NWLSD Will Offer Free and Reduced Meals To All Students

NWLSD Will Offer Free and Reduced Meals To All Students

Northwest Local School District’s Free and Reduced Meals Program
Northwest Local School District announced its intention to participate in the 2021-2022 Free and Reduced Meals Program for students unable to pay the full price of meals or milk served under the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs. Under this program this year, breakfast & lunch will be FREE TO ALL enrolled students. 

Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines will be used to determine eligibility. Children from families whose annual income is at or below the federal guidelines are eligible for free and reduced-price meals and potentially eligible for the PEBT card program. Although meals will be free for all students for the 2021-22 school year, families will still need to submit an eligibility application. The application will be used to determine if families are eligible for a P-EBT Card and will be used to determine if families are eligible to have additional fees-waived. 

Application forms can be found online at https://payschoolscentral.com/. To apply for free and reduced-price benefits, which determines PEBT card eligibility, households should complete an application and return it to their school.  Additional copies are available at the principal’s office in each school. A complete application is required.

 Households which currently receive Special Nutrition Assistance Program Benefits (SNAP, formally known as food stamps) or Ohio Works First (OWF) funds for a child must provide:

  • The child’s full name 
  • SNAP or OWF case number and signature of an adult household member on the application 

Households which currently do not receive SNAP or OWF funds must provide:
  • The full names of all household members 
  • The last four digits of the Social Security Number of the adult signing the application or state “none” if the adult does not have a Social Security Number 
  • The amount and source of income received by each household member (state the monthly income) 
  • The signature of an adult household member  

If any of this information is missing, the school cannot process the application. Each school office and the central office has a copy of the policy, which may be reviewed by any interested party. 
FREE HEALTH CARE: Families with children eligible for school meals may be eligible for free health care coverage through Medicaid and/or Ohio’s Healthy Start & Healthy Families programs. These programs include coverage for doctor visits, immunizations, physicals, prescriptions, dental, vision, mental health, substance abuse and more. Please call 1-800-324-8680 for more information or to request an application. Information can also be found on the web at http://jfs.ohio.gov/ohp/consumers/familychild.stm. Anyone who has an Ohio Medicaid card is already receiving these services.

The information provided on the application is confidential and will only be used for the purpose to determine eligibility and may be verified at any time during the school year by school or another program official. To discourage the possibility of misrepresentation, the application forms contain a statement above the space for signature certifying that all information furnished is true and correct. Applications are being made in connection with the receipt of federal funds.  Schools or other officials may check the information on the application at any time during the school year. Deliberate misrepresentation of information may subject the applicant to prosecution under applicable state and federal laws.
Households will be notified of the approval or denial of benefits.

Foster children are categorically eligible for free meal benefits regardless of the household’s income. If a family has foster children living with them and wishes to apply for such meals or milk for them, contact the school for more information.
Under the provision of the policy, Lisa Robison, Supervisor of Food Service will review applications and determine eligibility. If a parent or guardian disagrees with the decision on the application or the result of verification, the decision may be discussed with the determining official on an informal basis. If a formal appeal is desired, the household has the right to a fair hearing. A fair hearing can be requested either orally or in writing from:
Chris McKee 3240 Banning Rd Cincinnati, OH 45239
The policy contains an outline of the hearing procedure.
Households may apply for benefits any time during the school year.  If a household is not currently eligible and if the household size increases or income decreases because of unemployment or other reasons, the family should contact the school to file a new application.  Such changes may make the children of the family eligible for free or reduced-price benefits if the family income falls at or below the levels shown above.
Nondiscrimination Statement
In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. 
Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: How to File a Complaint, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1)           mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;
(2)       fax: (202) 690-7442; or
(3)       email: [email protected].

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Print This Article